The 1914 depot replaced the original 1902 depot, which was converted to shops, and second 1910 wooden depot that had burned. One of the finest on the Frisco, it served Hugo until 1960. In 1978, the County Historical Society renovated it and operates the Frisco Depot Museum. Listed on National Register of Historic Landmarks. County-wide historical artifacts, documents and pictures are displayed. In the south waiting room are displays of railroad memorabilia including a Harvey House news stand, boxes from the 1902 Sawyer, Oklahoma post office, etc. The north waiting room has a small model railroad display with 3 operating lines. Upon finding the extant counter-type Harvey House Restaurant and dorm rooms for the Harvey Girls preserved on the second floor, this is a depot well worth stoppin' by! Hours Tu-Sa 10 to 4.
The North-South Frisco line was completed by 1887 through Hugo to Paris, TX from SW Missouri, while the East-West Arkansas & Choctaw was completed from the Arkansas line through to Ardmore, OK in 1902 - 1903. It was established through a 1902 agreement with the Frisco, by which agreement, ownership passed to the Frisco in 1907. Shown on 2009 maps, the owner of both lines out of Hugo for various distances is the Kiamichi Railroad (KKR) - a short line owned by Genesee & Wyoming.
The Frisco, was a dominant railroad throughout the south central United States, primarily in Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. It played an important role in the lives of people all along the rails.